As the cold, Minnesota winter approaches, it’s important to prepare by having a professional perform a safety check on your furnace. For many homeowners, winter temperatures mean you will use your heating system more often in the upcoming months. Making sure that your furnace runs efficiently will keep you and your family safe and warm for as long as winter lasts.
Improve your home’s safety through furnace repair in Kandiyohi County, MN by working with a professional in the following areas:
- Change your furnace’s filter every three months: Changing a furnace’s filter every few months will save you both money and energy. When the filter is too dirty, airflow becomes restricted in your home, therefore requiring the furnace to work harder and use more energy to achieve the same results. In addition, once the filter is clogged, the furnace can become too hot, which means it can crack and release carbon monoxide – a fatal toxin – into the air.
- Check the furnace’s pilot light: A properly working pilot light will appear blue. If it is orange or yellow, you should call a professional for a furnace safety check. Yellow or orange flames mean that the furnace may be releasing carbon monoxide into the air. Having a technician check the pilot light will allow you to be certain that your furnace is functioning properly throughout the season.
- Keep flammable items away from the furnace: This simple, yet important tip is an easy way to prevent damage to your furnace and fires in your heating system. Items like cleaning supplies and boxes in storage can pose major risks to your furnace and your home when positioned too close to a pilot light. When a technician performs a safety check, he or she will also work to minimize risk of damage by ensuring there is a clean and clear space surrounding your furnace.
- Replace an old furnace when necessary: The cost of a new furnace may seem like a lot at first, but it can be a worthy investment. If your old furnace poses an irreparable risk to the safety of your home, installing a new unit may save you from serious damage down the road. When a new furnace is installed, make sure you schedule an appointment with a certified technician who can come and perform a thorough safety check on the unit.
- Leave furnace safety checks to the professionals: Some homeowners try to perform furnace safety checks and furnace repair in Kandiyohi County, MN by themselves. However, it is important to know that it can be dangerous to perform these updates alone. If you would like to enhance the safety of your furnace, or suspect there is an issue with your heating system, call a technician for assistance. Trained professionals know exactly what they’re looking for and will be able to help you solve any problem your furnace may be facing.
If it’s time for your home’s furnace to receive its annual safety check, contact the professionals at Kraemer Refrigeration, Heating & A/C for helpful and friendly assistance today.