It might be hard to believe, but autumn and winter are inching closer and closer. Once the weather starts getting cooler in the evenings, you’re going to be tempted to turn on your furnace. As with any other part of your HVAC system, you need to make sure your furnace is getting the proper maintenance it needs to function well throughout the winter months.
With this in mind, here are a few signs that you need to contact a professional for furnace repair in Kandiyohi County, MN:
- You notice strange sounds coming from the furnace: There’s no such thing as a completely quiet furnace. However, it’s certainly not normal for furnaces to make banging, clanging or whining noises. If you do notice these types of strange sounds, you might have problems such as a loose belt, an ignition problem or some other type of loose or failing component.
- Turning up the thermostat doesn’t work: If even dialing up the thermostat to an unusually high setting isn’t making a difference, there are a number of issues that could be present in your HVAC system. It might be that the thermostat itself is to blame, and you need to replace it. You might also have leaks somewhere in your ductwork, or have a problem with the furnace’s pilot light.
- Electric bills are skyrocketing: Higher electric bills indicate your system is working much harder than it would typically need to. Inefficient performance is caused by a number of problems, which are best diagnosed by a professional.
- Your air quality is poor: If you have suddenly noticed an increase in asthma- or breathing-related symptoms or illnesses, it could very well be a result of poor air quality caused by a furnace that needs maintenance. Furnaces that function poorly are more likely to send irritants like mold and dust into circulation. Over time, these irritants can have a negative impact on your overall health.
- Your home is being heated unevenly: If you have some rooms that are perfectly warm and other rooms that are rather frosty, this is a sign that your furnace is not heating your entire house. A common sign is ice forming on your roof, which indicates the heat from your home is exiting through the attic rather than staying in living areas. There are a variety of potential causes for this problem, all of which should be addressed by an HVAC professional.
- The pilot light is yellow: In most cases, you should have a blue flame burning in the furnace, rather than a yellow flame. A blue flame signifies a perfect mixture and balance of gases. A yellow flame, however, could be a sign of problematic gases like carbon monoxide seeping into the home. Obviously, this is a problem you need to correct as soon as possible for your own safety.
Convinced you need furnace repair in Kandiyohi County, MN for your home? If so, reach out to our trusted team at Kraemer Refrigeration, Heating & A/C today.